Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Hello Family! :)
 This week nothing really interesting has happened. We have continued to walk everywhere because of our shortage on miles with our car. Walking several miles a day in 96 degree weather isn't really fun haha. It's actually kind of gross how sweaty you get. I keep forgetting to put on sunscreen too so I'm like way red right now haha. Its not hurting yet, but I'm like putting on aloe vera like none other.
We're starting to find out that this area is a little bit more English than it is Spanish. If you want to find spanish speakers, you have to go to the trailer parks. These areas are honestly the most fun to go to haha. You don't really know what to expect or what kind of people you'll meet. You just know that it's going to be.. interesting. Spanish is getting a little bit easier for me.  I still struggle a lot, especially with talking to natives. It's so hard to understand them because they talk so fast! They push words together too. It seems like I'll never learn but I know I'll get there eventually. I'm learning random new words every day though, so that's good.
The city of Ulysses just got a warning about the water here. Apparently it had e. coli and "may contain animal or human fecal matter". Cool. We buy all of our water in jugs now at the store. haha. I'm not even trying to mess with poop in my water. This week when we were tracting trailer homes, we heard this bell. Elder Wilde yelled out Paletero! haha in English = popsicle man. So we  went over to his little push cart and we bought something. He only spoke spanish so that was cool. These popsicles that he had were bomb. Like mexican ice cream.. yumm! It felt like we were in Mexico, with the surrounding ghetto area and this guy haha. It was so awesome.
 One of the dinners we had this week was with this awesome family, bro. and sis. Wood. They are an older couple, but love missionaries. They are super funny too. I felt like they were my grandparents when we were over there. Anyways, they have this big map of the US, when new missionaries come in, they sign their names next to where you are from. So I went to do mine, and there was a name where Federal Way was. Hmm. Elder Whiting. It sounded familiar, I think Dad knows someone with that last name. So I asked sis. Wood if she knew this guy or had any pictures. And she did. I recognized the guy too. I think his name is Dean Whiting. or something along those lines. Can Dad or someone get a hold of him and tell him Woody and Mary Wood say Hi? haha   It was cool having a little connection in Ulysses.
Also Sherry Dew has been here because her dad just passed away. She is the CEO of Deseret Book. I guess she's done the autobiography of some prophets too. I talked to her for a little bit on Sunday. I got to hear her speak in the MTC when I was there too. She's an awesome speaker. So this Sunday, the bishop has asked us to give talks... ugh. I hate speaking in front of a ton of people haha. Also he asked us to run the 2nd hour meeting too. Sunday will be a busy day for us... should be fun...!
We met with this lady this week about doing service. There is a project coming up at the end of September called NuMana. Its making food packets and sending it to counties in need. She asked us to be in charge of groups of people when this event actually happens. Sweet! I'm excited! The food for this project is actually being sent down to Argentina too! So that's way cool! :) There are actually going to be people from all over the world coming to this event too.
What else? Oh. I'm addicted to Horchata right now. haha It's So Good! Lucky for me, there is a lot of it around town because of all the little mexican stores.
This area has a lot of potential to baptize! It's just hard because no one answers their doors EVER. We had 2 people with bap. dates this week, but no one came to church. They had to go to the hospital though, so it was a good reason. We finally came in contact with this family with 5 unbaptized kids! We had knocked on their door like 5 times since we've been in this area, but never anything. The Mom of these kids owns a restaurant in town. So we went straight there to talk to her. She was really nice to us. She says getting her kids to church on Sunday is okay with her! Yay! Yeah super potential. It's awesome.
I felt sick a couple days ago, like I was going to throw up. Maybe heat exhaustion / dehydration? I need to drink more water!

Hmm.. yeah I don't think I had to do an FBI check. Which is good haha. But I did have to do a police report though. Maybe it's the same thing? I dont know. But yeah, still nothing on my VISA yet. Dang. Yeah summer came and went! I can't believe he is already going back to school haha that sucks. I think I got that package from Alisha? I honestly cant remember though haha. I just got some pictures and other stuff from her with a letter. Is that what she's talking about? I also got dad's letter too. It got here fast, in like 2 days! I think it's because he sent it straight here, not through the mission office. Umm I think thats it!

The pictures: Kansas itself is hot and in the middle of nowhere and yeah, but the sunsets are pretty epic!

Well Love you guys all! Have an awesome week! P.s. p-days are still Mondays. It's just because it was a holiday yesterday. ALSO, can you be on the look out for Spanish/English translator? It's like a little pocket device thing. My companion has one and its pretty awesome. He said they might be a little expensive though.. so i don,t know. Can you check that out for me?? Also in the next package, send AA batteries? I'll let you know for sure. haha Okay Byee Love You!

Elder Wheelwright



No comments:

Post a Comment